Thursday, May 17, 2012

Conclusion-What I have Learned...


I’ve wanted to organize an exhibition on nature for several weeks. This week, we were assigned, as the final exam, the opportunity to build and create an “art gallery”.
O.K., I have to admit it. I’m not the most knowledgeable when it comes to art so my ‘critique’ may have been coming from a blank slate. But here’s what I noticed…
First – Simplicity rules! The first display I entered had some abstract stuff but it was so busy and complicated. I’m sure some fans of the abstract art would argue that this was ‘too complicated for average art people to grasp and understand…blah blah blah.’ But then you get to the more popular exhibits and what did I notice…Simple! The art was simple. You ‘got it’ as soon as you saw it.
Second – Shock and awe works. Check out this picture of a piece created titled Naoko Ito Urban Nature, talk about shock and awe! Here’s a piece that was created entirely by ‘jars and pieces of a tree limb’. Its beautiful but also simple at the same time.

But wow…I think you could imagine, this got some of the most attention in the art gallery.
And third – Use basic colors for maximum impact! The simplest art works seemed to have a common theme…They used a minimum amount of colors and the colors they did use were reds, blues, greens, yellows…No neon greens, no hot pinks, no crazy colors, just simple power colors.
Put this all together and I just kept saying to myself…This stuff works in art just as much as it works in business. Think of the most effective splash and squeeze pages you have seen while surfing the traffic exchanges and you’ll find…
1. Simple designs
2. The Use of Shock and Awe
3. Good use of colors
What else can we learn from art that applies to business? I know, seems a bit weird for a post in Hit Exchange News, but I tend to see lessons in business around everything I do these days.
I found it a bit challenging to write effective description on each art piece that I selected. I also found it a bit challenging to choose these works of art. There are so many different and amazing works of art and I found it hard to narrow down the selection to just ten works. I found it was more natural an easier to enjoy looking at all the art. I found it calming and got a sense of peace by looking at these works of art.
How do I feel about the finished product? Basically I am finished, however I also feel that there is so much more that I would like to add, so many other pieces of art would fit in so well in the gallery.  I am very pleased with the final gallery, but also want to add more to it as well.
I found that while places these works of art together that there seemed to be a common threat between the artists, such as they all seem to have a strong love for animals, nature, and the outdoors. These artists seem to have similar backgrounds and family lives. I even found that a couple of them have similar religious beliefs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment